Built in 1872, the building currently known as the Goulbourn Museum used to be the old Town Hall. Despite being the size of a one-room school house this popular community hub was home to council meetings, parties and dances. The adjacent History Centre building was built in 1961 and was the former Clerks building. Now it is used to store the artefact collection, as office space, and to hold meetings and research appointments.
Created to celebrate Canada’s 150th Anniversary in 2017, Goulbourn Museum’s Route 150 heritage garden and self-guided nature walk is a permanent fixture on the Museum’s grounds. Route 150 includes gardens incorporated along a self-guided nature walk, set in the landscape of Historic Goulbourn Township. The garden and walk are supplemented by the Museum’s outdoor exhibition, “Struggle Town: A History of Stanley’s Corners” with bilingual outdoor panels and heirloom plants tying the history of the community with the natural setting. Goulbourn Museum’s gardens will grow and evolve each year, inspiring residents to take pride in their local museum and the important Ontario history it preserves.